Total Care for the Whole Patient
Total Care recognizes doctors that focus on health care instead of sick care. These doctors go above and beyond to enhance the overall health of their patients, providing preventive services and wellness coaching, as well as working with patients with chronic conditions to better meet their care needs. Total Care is coordinated, patient-focused and, in many cases, more affordable healthcare.
Coordinated Care for Better Health
As strong patient advocates, Total Care doctors focus on:
- Helping patients stay healthy through preventive care and wellness programs.
- Supporting patients in making better healthcare decisions.
- Coordinating patients' care across the healthcare spectrum.
- Expanding access to primary care through extended office hours and follow-up calls.
- Reducing or eliminating unnecessary emergency room visits.
Find a Total Care Doctor or Hospital
To find a Total Care doctor or hospital, call the toll-free number on the back of your membership card. To view a list of the Total Care doctors and hospitals in your area, visit the National Doctor & Hospital Finder and choose the Total Care filter in your area.
Eligibility and Evaluation
Who can be considered for the Total Care designation?
- Primary care doctors, medical practices or hospitals.
How are doctors and hospitals evaluated for Total Care?
Blue Cross Blue Shield companies nationwide use the following criteria:
- Doctors and hospitals have established quality and cost targets, and are paid by Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, at least in part, based on meeting these targets to deliver higher quality, more affordable care to their patients.
- Doctors and hospitals must use data and analytics to better understand and improve their medical practices.
- The programs offered by these doctors and hospitals must have broad availability for Blue Cross Blue Shield members.
Total Care providers have met national criteria based on provider commitment to deliver value-based care to a population of Blue members. Total Care+ providers also met a goal of delivering quality care at a lower total cost relative to other providers in their area. Program details are displayed on www.bcbs.com. Individual outcomes may vary. For details on a provider’s in-network status or your own policy’s coverage, contact your Local Blue Plan and ask your provider before making an appointment. Neither Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association nor any Blue Plans are responsible for non-covered charges or other losses or damages resulting from Total Care or other provider finder information or care received from Total Care or other providers.